Draft laptop testing spec

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 7 12:59:17 CDT 2005

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 06:38:32PM -0500, Carl Karsten wrote:

> Perosnaly, I would like to see something like the Ubunto Hardware Database
> wizard thingy.  I don't mind doing a suite of tests once or twice and
> poking around to see why they failed, but it gets old quick.  When I think
> about how many others are doing the exact same thing, the programmer in me
> gets ill.  I realize this one will be a little bit harder given that 1/2
> the tests could lock up the box and most of them would require root.  But I
> bet such a tool would A) generate about 10x as much data that would B) be
> 2x as usefull - it would be in a consistant format, there wouldn't be the
> human factor ("I hit the button and it didn't work.")

We've discussed the idea of extending hwdb-client to incorporate some of
this functionality.  Is this a project that you'd be interested in working
on?

Of course, this doesn't supersede the need for formal test plans.  Not
everything can be tested automatically, and often additional guidance is
needed for a thorough test of a particular device beyond what can be
automated.

--
 - mdz