AudioInfrastructure, general desktop hotplug daemon

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 7 06:24:21 CDT 2005

Hi again,

Martin Pitt [2005-05-31 12:56 +0200]:
> One feature that is still missing in the Audio infrastructure
> implementation is to make it hotplug-aware.
>
> (3) Add support for sound card events to gnome-volume-manager.
>   + Almost all of the required dbus/hotplug/notification code is
>     already there.
>   + Runs in all user sessions since Warty.
>   - It is a bad h4ck. OTOH g-v-m is already hacked up to death in
>     Debian and Ubuntu anyway, so it does not really make much of a
>     difference. In addition, g-v-m already handles USB drives, digital
>     cameras, audio and video CDs/DVDs, etc. so it already handles
>     several types of devices (and should be called g-hotplug-manager).
>   + "volume" can be interpreted as sound related *duck* (SCNR)

Since there was no objection, I will implement this option for now. It
should be reasonably easy and it will do what we want for Breezy
without causing too much trouble.

> (4) Create an universal, modular, and extensible common desktop
>     hotplug client "event-notifier". Throw away update-notifier and
>     gnome-volume-manager and implement their functionality into
>     modules of event-notifier.
>   + Clean design, should be extensible with
>     "/etc/desktop-hotplug-foo/{device,package,log,gamin}.d/<module>"
>     files so that packages can just register new actions without much
>     fiddling.
>   + Solves the problem once and for all.
>
> Obviously (4) is the solution we actually want.

That's still true, I will discuss this with Sjoerd this evening and
the Utopia list if we have a concrete proposal. It would be nice to
have a clean and generic solution for Breezy+1 and Etch.

Matthew Thomas [2005-06-01  8:34 +1200]:
> How about just making the most-recently-connected available device the
> default? I think that would do what you want in 99 percent of cases,
> without an alert. In the other 1 percent of cases you could open the
> Audio preferences yourself.
>
> (If I'm wrong about it being 99 percent, perhaps provide better use
> cases in <http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/AudioInfrastructure>.

I clarified this a bit and explained why we need the question.

Martin
--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de