Draft laptop testing spec

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Sun Jun 5 13:36:57 CDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 11:56:54AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 11:59 +0800, Trent Lloyd wrote:
>
> > Is breezy going to support using sl-modem-daemon?
>
> Yes.
>
> > These keys may have to be setup in keyboard shortcuts first (If so,
> > perhaps they should be reported as some defaults, although i see
> > conflicts appearing, maybe some SMI information can be used to determine
> > models of laptops and what hotkeys to use?)
>
> DMI rather than SMI, but yes, that's the aim. I'm in the process of
Uh yeh, oops. :)

> writing some code to deal with that.

For detecting the hotkeys or for detecting the model and using a known
list of hotkeys?

Are there any laptops that SMI stuff can cause potential issues? like a
hang or something? (I don't know the internals) -- Or on a non-laptop
system etc, and what about say ppc (ibook, pbooks) ?

> > As a point we should probably introduce some support for detecting when
> > the kill switch is active, for example the ipw2200 reports this.
>
> Yeah, that would be pretty ideal.
>
> > This is off by default in acpi-support, is that going to change ?
>
> Yes. It works sufficiently well on enough machines that I'm happy to
> default to it being enabled.
>
> > I think reports should also include an lspci and perhaps some other info
> > (maybe a hardware database ID?) so we can see what hardware doesn't
> > work, etc.
>
> Yeah, that's not a bad idea. It ought to be added to the submission page
> setup.

Something I need to do?

Cheers,
Trent