Draft laptop testing spec

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sun Jun 5 05:56:54 CDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 11:59 +0800, Trent Lloyd wrote:

> Is breezy going to support using sl-modem-daemon?

Yes.

> These keys may have to be setup in keyboard shortcuts first (If so,
> perhaps they should be reported as some defaults, although i see
> conflicts appearing, maybe some SMI information can be used to determine
> models of laptops and what hotkeys to use?)

DMI rather than SMI, but yes, that's the aim. I'm in the process of
writing some code to deal with that.

> As a point we should probably introduce some support for detecting when
> the kill switch is active, for example the ipw2200 reports this.

Yeah, that would be pretty ideal.

> This is off by default in acpi-support, is that going to change ?

Yes. It works sufficiently well on enough machines that I'm happy to
default to it being enabled.

> I think reports should also include an lspci and perhaps some other info
> (maybe a hardware database ID?) so we can see what hardware doesn't
> work, etc.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. It ought to be added to the submission page
setup.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org