Talks About Improved System Management Tools

Sivan Green sivan at piware.de
Fri Jun 3 04:44:59 CDT 2005

Howdy all!

 It's been sometime since I last posted to this list,
 however I do read all the latest buzz around writing from
 scratch the all-rocking-killer-app sys mgmt. tools.

 To all of the interested, I've seen all those wonderful
 specs and other related discussions , but, I would like to
 note that before embarking on tossing lines of new code,
 that there _is_ a system mgmt. infrastructure in Ubuntu,
 inherited from GNOME , AKA Gnome System Tools.

 Gnome system tools is closely following MVC model, which
 allows us to either use the current C/GTK coded GUIs or ,
 if we wish write our own and use the backends to do the
 work in a platform independent manner.

 Moreover, Carlos Garnacho has recently started the  task of
 dbusizing the backends, meaning a developer could
 write his GUI in whatever language he wants or manner, and
 using dbus objects could talk to the backends seemlessly,
 this would also allow for WebGUI integration as Paul Sladen
 noted on one of the specs.

 Read more about it at:
 http://live.gnome.org/SystemToolsBackends.

 My questoin is, Istead of inventing the wheel from
 scratch, why not first fix the bugs and refine the
 backends, then buid on top of them a couple of frontend
 interfaces as we see fit? I reckon that could be better
 approach, as well as utilizing an already existing code
 base which, despite it's glitches, has been already
 deployed and is already used all over on a daily basis?

 Sivan