Init scripts list and description

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Wed Jun 1 21:46:53 CDT 2005

On Sun, 29 May 2005, The Saltydog wrote:

Hello Fabio,

> I am in the need to set up a module for my program (Boot-Up Manager)

BUM is excellent work, I'm glade to see it getting recommended in the recent
Linux Journal piece.

> which includes a full list of ubuntu's init scripts (script name -

Perhaps the best way would be to put up on the wiki a list of all the init
scripts you have currently, along their default descriptions from the
package-cache (as you're doing at the moment):

  dpkg -S /etc/init.d/*[^~] | sed -e 's/:.*$//' | xargs apt-cache show | \
  grep ^Description: | sort -u

Then, I'm sure the Doc team would probably be the best group to update any
descriptions which aren't very up to date and/or friendly.

Hope this is a good start and useful!

	-Paul
--
It sometimes snows here.  Bournemouth, GB