GNOME panel and sudo

Olafur Arason olafra at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 13:46:15 CDT 2005

We allready have that if you are in admin group then you have sudo,
so we don't need to worry about that. I think this is global so this
would not require any extra effort.
The why 640 question: root is owner of the file so you have to use
sudo to edit the .desktop file, the group would be admin so you can
see the file if you are in that group and if your not then you can't
read it so it doesn't show up in the menu. So this would solve this
problem and it's done in a unix way.  admin isn't a user it's a group
so admin wouldn't be the owner and the would be no reason why
distibutions would have to have that user. The .desktop files are in
/usr/applications and /etc is full of diffrent groups owning diffrent
things.

Olafur Arason