X libraries mess in breezy...

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 15 15:18:16 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 02:05:18PM -0400, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 06:54:31PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Yes, they haven't been modularised yet. This work is still in progress.
> >
> > (It's hard working in a fishbowl sometimes. :-))
>
> That reminds me: why do the packages get released before the
> packages that they depend on? Shouldn't the system which
> pushes packages out to the Debian repositories push out a
> package after its dependencies? Because certainly the
> package is unusable until the dependencies are usable.

The archive maintenance software does no dependency checking. Debian's
testing distribution does that, but we don't use that software (it
introduces extra complexity and delays - we talked about it).

In this case, I'm told that it's difficult to get xbase-clients
modularised without first doing some preparatory work in xorg which
involves disabling the build of xbase-clients. Fortunately, this is a
temporary situation.

Cheers,