firstboot

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 14 06:20:01 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 11:57:07AM +0100, Juan Jesús Ojeda Croissier wrote:
> El jue, 14-07-2005 a las 11:37 +0100, Colin Watson escribió:
> > Nowadays, oem-config is essentially a clever debconf frontend, so that
> > should be possible. However, I have trouble seeing why you'd want to
> > preseed it; the point of oem-config is to deliberately re-ask questions
> > of the end user, so if you don't want the questions to be asked then
> > just use the --include/--exclude options to avoid asking them!
>
> Well, because one of my ideas about UbuntuExpress was no to config
> anything in the installer time, just partitioning, copy and no much
> more. And after to (kind of) preseed somehow the oem-config to deliver
> the config to him.

Deliver what configuration? You don't have any configuration in that
scenario because you didn't ask for any. :-) Preseeding only makes sense
when you have something to preseed.

I do *strongly* believe that it's better to ask for configuration
up-front in the Ubuntu Express installer, not to defer it until the
system is installed. I don't want "ask questions on first boot" to
become part of our standard installation procedure if I can possibly
avoid it, because people generally seem to like the way we ask questions
earlier rather than later. (Of course, what you do in Guadalinex is up
to you ...)

> > /sbin/unconfigured.sh is a hopelessly obsolete thing from boot-floppies;
> > as far as I can remember it more or less just fired off base-config. I
> > don't know what /sbin/setup.sh is but it sounds similar.
>
> And how/where the oem-config if hooked to the boot system?

It isn't yet, but it'll hook in more or less the same way that
base-config does (i.e. an inittab entry that gets removed when
oem-config finishes, or similar); see prebaseconfig.

> PS: BTW, very interesting this subproject and very nice job ;-)

Thanks - I hope to get to the point soon where I can solicit help from
people who are actually any good at graphical user interface design,
unlike myself. Also, there are a few other bits (locale and keyboard
configuration) that aren't in arch yet that I need to upload somewhere.

Cheers,