firstboot

Juan Jesús Ojeda Croissier juanje at interactors.coop
Thu Jul 14 05:57:07 CDT 2005

El jue, 14-07-2005 a las 11:37 +0100, Colin Watson escribió:
[...]

> It's no longer called firstboot; I renamed it to oem-config (and
> branched the arch repository accordingly).

Ok, thanks. Actually I had both modules from the arch repository. But
now I'm going to focus just in the oem-config ;-)

[...]

> > And also I have 2 question about this matter:
> > - Is it possible to preseed the firstboot?
>
> Nowadays, oem-config is essentially a clever debconf frontend, so that
> should be possible. However, I have trouble seeing why you'd want to
> preseed it; the point of oem-config is to deliberately re-ask questions
> of the end user, so if you don't want the questions to be asked then
> just use the --include/--exclude options to avoid asking them!

Well, because one of my ideas about UbuntuExpress was no to config
anything in the installer time, just partitioning, copy and no much
more. And after to (kind of) preseed somehow the oem-config to deliver
the config to him.
The idea was reuse the max as posible the work done on the oem-config.
Instead of doing the same oem-config does (the config part), just
deliver this part to him.
Anyway, it was an idea I took from our BOFs in the udu, but now I'm not
so sure about.

> > - can you explain to me again the diferente between the 'firstboot' and
> > '/sbin/unconfigured.sh' or '/sbin/setup.sh'?
>
> /sbin/unconfigured.sh is a hopelessly obsolete thing from boot-floppies;
> as far as I can remember it more or less just fired off base-config. I
> don't know what /sbin/setup.sh is but it sounds similar.

And how/where the oem-config if hooked to the boot system?

Thanks a million your information help me a lot ;-)

PS: BTW, very interesting this subproject and very nice job ;-)
--
   \|/  interactors              | juanje arroba interactors.coop
  \|/    |_ activando redes      | http://interactors.coop