making a custom hoary-based LiveCD with a custom kernel

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Mon Jul 11 08:14:30 CDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 11:03:10PM EST, Maarten de Boer wrote:
> Yes, the 2.6.12-rt-preemt kernel I created was built using the
> 2.6.12 Ubuntu kernel packages, with make-kpkg --initrd. I installed
> the resulting linux-image-XXXXX.deb in my LiveCD, and copied it
> (gzipped) into /install on the LiveCD before running mkisofs. I
> suppose that is enough?
>
> $ gzip -c /mnt/extracted.new/boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-rt-v0.7.51-13-686 > /mnt/custom-live-cd/install/initrd.gz
>
> But I can imagine that the LiveCD needs a different initrd than
> an installed system?

Yes it does need a different initrd. The initrd on the live CD has
various components of the Debian Installer in it, to allow for selecting
of languages, and auto-detecting where the CD drive is, and mounting the
cloop filesystem. Your initrd will not bring up the necessary bits to
do that, and will fail.

In order to modify the initrd, you will probably have to grab the source
of debian-installer from the repository, and change it to include your
kernel. This also involves creating your own local repository with your
packages in it, and having to point the debian-installer build process
to it to use them.

You will also have to build kernel udebs, that contain individual
modules for various drivers, as well as an udeb for the kernel itself.
AFAIK, the only real way to generate these udebs is to build an entire
sireies of kernels from the 2.6.12 kernel sources, that you obtain with
the apt-get source command.

I have probably missed something, but as I am looking into much the same
thing, this is what I have learnt so far. The debian-installer manual
has this info in it as well, so you might want to look at that as well.
I would also say that Colin may comment on it at some point as well.

hth
--
Luke Yelavich
GPG key: 0xD06320CE