making a custom hoary-based LiveCD with a custom kernel

Maarten de Boer mdeboer at iua.upf.es
Mon Jul 11 08:03:10 CDT 2005

Hallo Martijn,

> Did you use the "old" kernel config as a template?

I used the Hoary 2.6.10-5 kernel config as a template. Does the
LiveCD use a different config?

> Did you build an initrd as well (and did you install it)?

Yes, the 2.6.12-rt-preemt kernel I created was built using the
2.6.12 Ubuntu kernel packages, with make-kpkg --initrd. I installed
the resulting linux-image-XXXXX.deb in my LiveCD, and copied it
(gzipped) into /install on the LiveCD before running mkisofs. I
suppose that is enough?

$ gzip -c /mnt/extracted.new/boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-rt-v0.7.51-13-686 > /mnt/custom-live-cd/install/initrd.gz

But I can imagine that the LiveCD needs a different initrd than
an installed system?

maarten