Are we able to redistribute debian-unofficial/non-free packages?

Reinhard Tartler siretart at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 01:33:23 CDT 2005

Hi,

The debian-unofficial project [1] started today, with lots of packages
currently not in debian mostly for licensing reasons I think. It seems
that some packages we already taken from marillat's repository, but
panthera (aka Daniel Baumann) was not quite happy with the qualitiy of
the source packages (he stated that in the forums of
http://prolinux.de, german newsticker). Some of these packages might
be quite interesting for the MOTUMedia Team (a team forming by Ante,
Sebastian Dröge and myself, announcement pending after we did some
real work)

I think to have his packages in ubuntu universe or multiverse would be
a great win. In any case, our users WILL ask for this packages, or
will even add debian-unofficial in their /etc/apt/sources.list.

My question is if we can distribute all packages of [2] in multiverse.
I'm really not sure, but I'd like to know if we have some licence
policy or some other paper giving guidelines about what we can
distribute and what not. I'm especially curious about the packages
opera, Realplayer10, Netbeans, Sun JAVA.

[1] http://www.debian-unofficial.org/
[2] http://www.debian-unofficial.org/packages
--
regards,