A proposal: Acabuntu

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Wed Jul 6 14:03:05 CDT 2005

* Roberto Rosselli Del Turco <rosselli at ling.unipi.it> [0726 15:26]:
> Il giorno mar, 05-07-2005 alle 18:31 +0100, Martin Meredith ha scritto:
> >
> > Other than having a Version of Ubuntu with different packages installed
> > by default, what do you have planned?

> To answer your question: basically, that's it. Sure, there are some
> usability problems with Ubuntu (and Linux), but I wouldn't like Acabuntu
> to diverge from the main distro UI, and I'm sure they will be fixed in
> future versions of Ubuntu. OTOH, I and others in the academic community
> can sure provide feedback about the Ubuntu Linux experience.

It sounds to me you want a package that lists all the academic apps you
want as a dependency (personally I doubt you can define a standard 'academic',
 but I'll take your word for it for now).
It itself it has no files to install (although if you wanted to add
specific stuff like extra docs it would simply be a question of making a package
for each doc bundle).

In bsd land we call this a meta-package, though I'm sure Ubuntu has
packages like this - 'ubuntu-base' springs to mind?

Installation is then just a question of 'sudo apt-get install acabuntu'.
I'd imagine you could roll a release then by adding acabuntu as a base package
when building a CD - I'm assuming ubuntu has something like 'make release' in
*bsd here , but I'd be a bit surprised if it didnt.

--
'Some people, when confronted with a problem, think I know, I'll use
XML. Now they have two problems.'