new to packaging

Martin Meredith martin at sourceguru.net
Tue Jul 5 10:49:53 CDT 2005

The Debian New Maintatiners Guide and the Developer Resources Page on
the wiki are good places to start reading.

http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DeveloperResources

If you're compiling for actual addition to the OS, not just for your own
use/for people to download from your website, it's best to build for
breezy, as that's the development version. But to make your package
official you need to speak to the MOTU

if you want to build for breezy, but still use hoary on your machine, I
suggest you use a chroot or pbuilder

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PbuilderHowto
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebootstrapChroot
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU

If you're building for your own use/download from your website - not
incl;usion into Ubuntu, then feel free to build in hoary (though I
suggest using a clean pbuild if you have any repositories other than the
main ubuntu repositories in your /etc/apt/sources.list)