First set of language packs out for testing

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 17 12:40:13 CST 2005

Hi Ubuntu folks!

I'm happy to announce the first published set of Ubuntu language
packs. They are now in a releasable state and the infrastructure for
generating and updating them in a fully automatic way works.

The package structure is like this: for each language which we have
at least one po file for, we have three packages:

  * language-pack-$LANG:
    Contains the bulk of translation files for the given language,
    usually created/updated at release time.

  * language-pack-$LANG-update:
    Contains translation files which were added/modified since the
    last update of language-pack-$LANG; these packages are supposed
    to be very small, and they will be automatically updated daily. If
    these packages become too large, we can release a new base package
    at any time.

  * language-support-$LANG:
    Empty metapackage that depends at least on language-pack-$LANG and
    language-pack-$LANG-update, and additionally on all
    Mozilla/FireFox/Thunderbird/OpenOffice.org/myspell/font/whatever
    packages that are appropriate and useful for this particular
    language. This is the package that is supposed to be installed by
    d-i.

To have maximum flexibility, every single deb has its own source
package.

The source packages contain the po files as shipped by the application
source packages. The build system of the source packages will
generate the necessary mo files and put these into the debs.

Since Rosetta does not yet have the necessary export support, I
cheated, though. Later these po files are extracted from source
packages on the buildds, imported in Rosetta, and exported to
langpack-o-matic, but right now the source packages only contain a
msgunfmt'ed version of all debs in Hoary/main.

For now these packages are on

  deb     http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/langpack/  /
  deb-src http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/langpack/  /

Before uploading them into the main archive, I would like to leave
them there for a bit of public testing and commenting.

So, try it out!

- rename your /usr/share/locale directory; after this you will only
  have English program output

- sudo apt-get install language-support-<yourlanguage>; after this,
  all hoary/main applications should have <yourlanguage> translations
  again. If you don't want the dependencies (OO.o, Mozilla, etc.
  locale packs), just install language-pack-<yourlanguage>-update
  instead.

Have fun!

Martin
--