RFC: Automatic trouble reporting

Johan Walles walles at mailblocks.com
Sun Jan 30 03:45:43 CST 2005

As you say, bug-buddy covers only Gnome.  If anything non-Gnome crashes
it won't help.  For example if the X server crashes, bug-buddy won't be
of much help, but that's something you'd probably want to know about.
And if any non-supported Gnome software crashes, what happens with the
bug report?

With an automatic statistics gathering system, you could see that a lot
of your users run Foobar, even though that isn't part of the official
distro, and that it crashes a lot.  This could indicate that maybe
you'd want to look into supporting Foobar in the future.

Bug-buddy also requires a non-trivial amout of manual interaction.
Thus, it just lowers the threshold for filing bug reports manually, it
doesn't remove it.  Newbie users won't be able to report any crashes,
with or without Bug-buddy, but with a non-interactive system they would.

Another problem with Bug-buddy is that it doesn't gather any
information about the system logs, so you won't get any notifications
on kernel oopses and such (which users may not even notice but you
might still be interested in).

Regarding Bugzilla, it is (IMO) a very nice tool for manual bug
reporting, but it isn't very well suited for statistics gathering.  It
won't answer the question "which program in Ubuntu crashes the most?"
or "Was the new release of X.Org's ATI driver any better than the
previous one?".

On the server side, I imagine the results should be presented as a
high-score list, roughly like Debian's Popularity contest.  That would
give you a "profile" of what parts of Ubuntu need attention.

  Regards //Johan