resolv.conf file keeps getting rewritten

Thomas Hood jdthood at aglu.demon.nl
Wed Jan 26 09:08:26 CST 2005

mdz wrote:
> In Ubuntu we only support the 3.x series (dhcp3-client), and Debian
> ought to go in the same direction.

The Debian installer team decided a long time ago that the sarge
installer would install dhcp-client rather than dhcp3-client.  I agree
that Debian should move to dhcp3-client ASAP.

> The changelog seems to suggest that dhcp3-client supports resolvconf,
> but I see no evidence of it in the code.

dhcp3-client supports resolvconf
via /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/resolvconf which is included in
the resolvconf package.

[Re: #258553]
> I'm not sure that I follow the justification in that bug.  Why shouldn't
> g-s-t allow the user to add and remove nameservers?  If the user is
> configuring the interface statically, they need to be able to set
> nameservers as well.  It probably doesn't make sense for them to be able to
> edit resolv.conf when it will be modified by dhclient anyway, though; is
> that the kind of thing you mean?

Yes.  If resolvconf is installed then g-s-t should do something more
helpful than invite the user to add information to /etc/resolv.conf
which is a symlink to a dynamically updated file.

> It would be worthwhile to attempt to reproduce your bugs with
> the version in Hoary (currently 1.1.4.1-0ubuntu4), and let us know if some
> of them still exist.

All the bugs I know about have been reported to the Debian BTS.  If you
would like to know which issues I would like to see addressed then
search for "Thomas Hood" on http://bugs.debian.org/gnome-system-tools.
(Some of the issues might not be relevant to Ubuntu.)

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood at aglu.demon.nl>