pure64 Hoary

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Sun Jan 23 20:06:30 CST 2005

Hi

On Sun, January 23, 2005 12:53, Mike Hearn said:
> The user concerned said he had 32 bit compatibility libraries installed,

The ia32-libs package. As far as I know it works the same way as the
debian package of the same name - a bunch of 32bit libraries in /lib32 and
/usr/lib32 that can run most things.

> be 32 bit. I was under the impression that 64 bit libs went in /usr/lib64

This was covered by Matt Zimmerman. However, I would add that even if you
were looking in /usr/lib32 you wouldn't find libcrypto or libssl. Some of
the posts in your support page talk about filing a feature request bug
against ia32-libs to add in the missing library. I had a quick poke around
the debian package and they don't seem to have libcrypto either, so I
assume that you need to file a feature request bug with Debian and then
Ubuntu will track the update into Universe.

> Is there any way to ensure that dlopen chooses 32 bit libraries? Is there
> any better way packaging-wise we can handle this case (of users running a
> 32 bit program on a 64 bit distro)?

I don't believe this is an issue, it is simply that the required libraries
are missing. I am running the 64bit Ubuntu on an amd64 machine. I have
ia32-libs installed and it was sufficient to just now install crossover
3.0.1, then subsequently install Media Player 6.4 and play a short clip.
The crossover gnome menus don't seem to have appeared anywhere, but it
does run :)

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones