RSS in Hoary

John Richard Moser nigelenki at
Fri Jan 21 02:04:28 CST 2005

Justin Mason wrote:
>>>I agree that Liferea would be a good addition to hoary.
>>>To make this suggestion more official add it at:
> FWIW, Straw is available (and now working) in universe. in my opinion,
> Straw is more usable than Liferea:

haven't tried it.

> - it includes extensive keyboard navigation options, and can generally be
>   used entirely via the keyboard; the spacebar navigates through unread
>   feeds in the normal newsreader style.  This is the main point where
>   Liferea lost out for me.

Mmm, I understand that.

> - it uses a very liberal feed parser, and I haven't yet run into an
>   RSS/Atom feed it couldn't parse.

Nor with liferea.

> - it looks good; normal 3-pane layout, and gtkhtml widget used for
>   display.  (I think that's got to be the baseline anyway.)
Liferea can use GTKHTML or Mozilla. It'll have to be patched to use
Firefox for GRE; and this eats 20 megs more RAM.  Still, Gecko is a lot
more usable than GTKHTML.

> - pretty good integration with firefox -- adding a feed from FF is
>   simply a matter of dragging the RSS link into the Straw window
>   and dropping.

Haven't tried that.

> Having said all that, I'm not sure if Liferea still has the issues
> it had when I tried it last, as that was several months ago.
> --j.

- --

Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird -