Ubuntu and KDE

George Farris farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Mon Feb 28 12:27:36 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 20:52 -0800, Alex Radu wrote:
>I have experimented with the latest Ubuntu for about two weeks, it is an
>excellent distribution. However, I found that GNOME is inadequate for my
>needs, this is the one pillar standing between my using of Ubuntu as a
>primary distribution and just experimenting with it occasionally.
>
>I am not sure on what grounds Ubuntu developers chose GNOME, certainly
>not popularity, but I'm sure they have their reasons. In any case, I
>don't think Ubuntu should limit its users to using only GNOME, many
>people prefer KDE and for some it is actually a matter of more than
>preference.
>
>Will Ubuntu offer an official version of the distribution with KDE as an
>option?
>
>Thank you for understanding,
>                                         Alex Radu

Please don't start this all over again.  It has all been covered in the
mail list and can be found in the archives.  The information surrounding
Ubuntu and KDE is also on the web page.  KDE packages are available to
install.

As a side note, I'm very happy with Ubuntu and GNOME and think it was a
wise choice, it works extremely well.  Perhaps you could suggest what
doesn't work for you rather than saying it doesn't meet your needs.

Thanks.

George Farris   farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Malaspina University-College

As with the rail barons of the past:
There is no reason why the computer industry should have to put up
with 'private standards' any longer. The word 'incompatible' is a
dirty word. It's time to run those who insist on using it out of the
business.