dhcp client that supports hostname request? (udhcpc/dhcpcd/pump)

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.org
Wed Feb 23 14:57:32 CST 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:44:38 -0800, Elliot F wrote:

Hi,

> Let me know if this is better for the users list or not, but are there any
> plans to move to a dhcp client package that supports hostname request in
> dhcp via gnome config or /etc/network/interfaces?
>
> If ubuntu moved to dhcpcd/pump/udhcpc dynamic hostname updates would be

Well the first two do hostname updates; annoyingly they require
configuration.

For pump the -h option is what you want. Do this in
/etc/network/interfaces:

iface eth0 inet dhcp
	hostname <name>

> able to be slipped into ubuntu without having to modify configuration
> files outside of /etc/network/interfaces, as one has to do with
> dhcp3-client (/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf).

For dhcp3 you already know what is required but anyone else,
in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf put:

	'send host-name "<name>";

dhcp3 does give the client lots more control though. And fiddly options.

For laptops I'd say that you do want that control (I don't always want the
network I'm attaching to supply garbage DNS servers for example); for
desktops I tend to use pump because the admin (usually me) sets things up
correctly.

> Are there any plans for ubuntu/gnome support of hostname submission during
> dhcp?  Am I missing something obvious?

Cheers,
Anand