Kernel 2.6.10 problems

Thomas Beckett thomas.beckett at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 04:32:26 CST 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:14:42 -0600, thephotoman <rantman_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a USB-powered hard drive that I use for storing larger files, as
> it's the largest storage medium that I have.  However, under kernel
> 2.6.10 and 2.6.11, it doesn't get detected.  Running ls /dev reveals
> that the device isn't appearing at all (if it appeared, there would be
> items for sda through sde, without it, the list only goes to sdd).  It
> works find on 2.6.8.1.  So, I have a few questions:
>
> 1. Has anybody else had this problem with these kernels only, or is it
> just me?
>
> 2. Has anybody tried mounting such a drive on another distro running the
> 2.6.10/2.6.11 kernels and had success?
>
> 3. Where's the kernel bugzilla?

This should really be in the users list - not devel but whilst we are here:
with the drive unplugged run dmesg | tail
then plug it back in and repeat dmesg | tail after a few seconds
It should inform you of at least how far it got to initialising it and
might point you in the direction of what is wrong with it.