Has anybody managed to get gnome-speech with festival working?

Taco Witte taco.witte at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 05:02:09 CST 2005

[crossposting like the previous posts in this thread]
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:31:03 +1100, Luke Yelavich <themuso at themuso.com> wrote:
> I have now found at least a temporary work-around.
>
> It is possible to set the server_access_list variable to allow only
> certain hosts to connect to the Festival server. This variable can be
> set in /usr/share/festival/festival.scm, at least on Ubuntu and Debian.
>
> The variable is in fact set correctly to localhost, and very likely has
> been set that way from the beginning. However, something is preventing
> local clients from connecting.
>
> When changing this variable's setting to either nil or
> localhost.localdomain, a successful connection to the server is
> possible. However, for security, the nil setting is certinly not an
> option.
[snip]

Actually I would suggest to set it to nil by default and to make sure
the server only listens on local interfaces (like all other servers in
the default install do); I suppose Festival server should have an
option for that (otherwise it would be trivial to add it). That way
only local users can connect to it, so the Festival server doesn't
have to add additional measures.

Kind regards,
Taco