Gamin going mad

Hervé Cauwelier herve.cauwelier at nospam.free.fr
Tue Feb 15 04:39:48 CST 2005

I updated my Hoary desktop this morning, installed kubuntu-base and
-desktop, then logged out Gnome and logged in KDE, using a brand new user.

The machine freezed, probably the kernel too since I could not join it
using SSH.

After an hour of rebooting, trying linux-2.6.11, disabling devices... it
was still freezing. At the end, KDE was running fine but starting Gnome
still crashed the machine after a few seconds.

After another reboot, while Gnome was starting, I switched to VT1 and
found this printed:

Feb 15 10:01:56 localhost kernel: scheduling while atomic:
gam_server/0xffffffff

Repeated at high speed. The kernel then panicked trying it was unable to
sync.

At next reboot, I started in single mode, "chmod -x"
/usr/lib/gamin/gam_server and started Gnome. The machine still has not
freezed...

Have you experienced something like this?

--
Hervé Cauwelier
http://www.oursours.net/