/var/cache/apt/archives not clean

Michael Vogt michael.vogt at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 15 00:17:29 CST 2005

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 05:37:18PM +0100, Vincenzo Ampolo wrote:
> Hi to all
Hi,

> I noted that after each download the downloaded packages are not removed
> as default (as was in debian). In fact they are still
> in /var/cache/apt/archives .
>
> My simple question is this:
> Why not clean /var/cache/apt/archives as default after each upgrade?

Synaptic has a option to autoclean after each operation
("Settings/Preferences/Files"). And you can also setup a periodic
autoclean using the new "gnome-software-preferences" command
(Settings/Temporary Files).

But I agree that we should have some sort of autoclean by
default. I wonder if it's enough to do that in synaptic (because it
will only autoclean when synaptic is run, not when apt-get/aptitude
are used)?

thanks,
 Michael