Launchpad Integration with the deskop: thoughts?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 9 14:39:41 CST 2005

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 03:30:51PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Sivan Green">
>
> >  As per the intent to make accessing rosetta's service
> >  offerings clickable from the desktop, I experimented bits
> >  with some of the gnome base libs and tend to think  that the
> >  right place for this is maybe on each application "About"
> >  boxes, which in  few gnome  apps are already used to reference
> >  the user to the app's  website, to report a bug onto gnome's bugzilla etc.
> >
> >  The idea is to patch libgnomeui and libgtk at the about
> >  boxes code level, to include buttons that would open
> >  moz-firefox windows , with the matching rosetta, malone,
> >  and doap pages of the application. This would:
> >
> >    1) Make the patches small and relatively non intrusive.
> >    2) Reach many apps with 2-3 centeralized patches.
> >

> >  Does this sound sane?
>
> Yes, this is what we agreed on at Mataró. ;-)

The problem is that we need a way to look up the launchpad name for the
application.  This is not the same as the package name, nor the name passed
to gnome_about_new (which is localized anyway).

I don't see an obvious way to do this without changing the library API
incompatibly (to add a parameter to the function), which seems like a very
bad idea.

Any better ideas?

--
 - mdz