Some suggestion of hoary snapshot install

Xan DXpublica at telefonica.net
Wed Feb 9 11:48:55 CST 2005

Hello to all,

Firstly, I have to say that I'm not development nop ingenier. I'm only a
novice desktop user of Ubuntu. I only mail us because one user suggested me
in this thread: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=14035

Well, before continuing, I like to know if there is some place to send
installation reports of hoary installation (only for if the installation info
is useful for you) and if sending this will be optional after installing
hoary when hoary will finished.

Well, the suggestions are essentially 3:

1) Can you put the possibility of add more than one non-root user in
installarion process (options like "create one more user" and "no create any
user" could be in that menu). It helps very much novice people (desktop
users) that want to create more than one users in installation and they don't
want to worry for searching documentation for how create users in
post-installation.

2) Can you put a warning after the first stage of installation ends that when
the net download begins it spends more time. A normal user that say yes to
use internet connection for downloading packages does not know that it could
be during so long. It could be good to warn it. So a warning screen just
before start downloading I think it were the ideal.

3) Finally, can you modify the screen of select of X window system driver for
more comprensive one.

Now, the screen of driver selection has "technical names": i810, sis, vmware,
vesa, fb, ... These names are a bit strange for desktop users (overall novice
users).

A separation of this screen in to: manufacturer name and model name could
help.

So instead select "ati", we choose "ATI" in the first screen and "Radeon 9200"
in the second (Internally, perhaps d-i assigns to that vesa videocard driver,
but the user don't know that)

This could help to desktop user to select correct videocard driver without
support (The desktop user hasn't to know that ati technical name includes ati
radeon, or that i810 is the Intel .... videocard, ...). The job is not easy.

Well, I think you could receive this suggestions only as effort of make Ubuntu
better with help of all. With my modest position (suggestions for desktop
users) I try to achive it.

I hope you are receptive to these.

With all of my respects,
Xan.

PS: If you are interested in reply me personaly, CCme. I, obviously, don't see
the list periodically.
subscribed to that list.