Array CD 4 (installation and live editions)
cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 4 18:16:21 CST 2005
Array CD 4 is ready. This is the fourth in a series of milestone CD
images, released when they're known to be reasonably free of showstopper
CD-build or installer bugs, while representing very current snapshots of
Hoary. You can download it here:
See http://www.ubuntu.com/wiki/Archive for access instructions.
Pre-release versions of Hoary are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a
stable system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional
breakage. They *are* recommended for Ubuntu developers and those who
want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.
Starting with this release, the Install CD and the Live CD are being
released together; they support the same set of architectures, and work
in similar ways. This will allow a high-quality Live CD to be released
as part of Ubuntu much more easily than beforehand, and it causes the
Live CD to be a much better test of whether your hardware will be
supported by the Install CD.
Some notable installer improvements and bug-fixes in this release:
* Timezone configuration fixed (it was broken while moving it to the
* Netboot signature verification fixed not to throw errors.
* Install language packs (see
* Keyboard selection fix for AMD64 systems with USB keyboards.
* Allow the root password to be set during installation in expert mode
* All installer questions are now asked before the first reboot;
unless X needs to ask a question (which only happens on some
hardware), the second stage of the installation is entirely
* Serial console installation fixed to work with udev.
* Worked around grub segfault on AMD64; installation on AMD64 is now
Fixes to the live CD since Array 3.5 Live:
* Language and country selection works again.
* No more scary messages emitted by init while entering the
* Since the grub issue on AMD64 (bug #6082) has merely been worked
around, DO NOT run the grub-install script in your installed system;
it will render your system unbootable! Fortunately, you shouldn't
need to do this in normal operation. We hope to resolve this by
Array CD 5.
If you're interested in following changes as we further develop Hoary,
have a look at the hoary-changes list:
Bug reports should go here:
Colin Watson [cjwatson at ubuntu.com]
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 253 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/attachments/20050205/a46f0890/attachment-0001.pgp
More information about the ubuntu-devel