quiet initscripts

Taco Witte taco.witte at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 16:32:45 CST 2005

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:18:10 -0500, John Richard Moser
<nigelenki at comcast.net> wrote:
[snip]
> You know what's also nice?  Look at Gentoo and Mandrake, and how
> colorful the start-up is.  Colors actually help make things flow better,
> and make it easier to read than the wall of crap that shoots past when
> Debian or Ubuntu boots.
>
> Colorified initscripts would be nice.  Perhaps something for someone to
> take up if they're very bored.  Colored prompts can also be nice.

Funny you mention colors -- I'm coming from Gentoo and one of the
first bugs I posted here was about colored prompts (it turned out
they're already there if you edit the default .bashrc, see #4711).
But for the initscripts: I think it's even better to limit the output
to what's really necessary because that way important information
already gets enough attention.

> > Just for
> > the sake of discussion, I've attached a diff for
> > /lib/lsb/init-functions (package lsb-base) that I'm using on my
> > computer. (The change can be enabled by adding a line REALQUIET=yes to
> > /etc/default/rcS; this may not be the cleanest solution.) A problem of
> > this diff is that it's not really clear what caused an error if an
> > error occurs in a script.
>
> And in the same way as colored inits, this probably violates LSB :)  but
> you could always RFC them up to LSB to see if they'll allow it for their
> next one too.  *shrug*

Well, I don't know how they specify things, but this diff doesn't
change the interface for init scripts -- it just doesn't show
informational messages. (Or that's the intention ;-) )

> > What do you think about this idea? I'm aware of neat graphical splash
> > screens, but this might be something that can be done on servers as
> > well.
>
> Quietness~~~

:-)

Kind regards,