gst-ffmpeg?

Sami Haahtinen ressu at ressukka.net
Thu Feb 3 08:24:14 CST 2005

Mikael Eriksson wrote:
> Sami Haahtinen wrote:
>> Mikael Eriksson <miffe-miffe <at> telia.com> writes:
>>> Any chance of getting gst-ffmpeg in ubuntu?
>>
>> I'm hoping it would hit the archives someday, until that happens, you
>> can get
>> gst-ffmpeg packages that i've built.
>>
>> apt sources lines at:
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/16299
>
> That page doesn't show anything,

That page shows the line to add to your /etc/apt/sources.list so you can
get the package with apt.

> but I found this in the bugzilla.
> http://pkg-gnome.alioth.debian.org/debian/pool/g/gst-ffmpeg/gstreamer0.8-ffmpeg_0.8.2-1_i386.deb

Those packages should work too. The newest version is 0.8.3 just so that
you are aware.

>> I had a fun weekend trying to get gst-ffmpeg to build against
>> either marillat version of ffmpeg or the debian version of ffmpeg.
>> It would appear that marillat version is utterly broken and for
>> some reason i couldn't get things to work with the debian one (even
>> though i worked around the bugs in the packaging). It would be nice
>> to get that beast to build against the debian packages so that when
>> that package gets updated gst-ffmpeg would get those fixes too.
>
> My understanding of gst-ffmpeg was that it included a snapshot of the
> ffmpeg sources.
> Is this not correct?

Yup, and that is the problem. There are quite a few projects that ship
external sources with their tarballs. It's all nice as long as.. well
actually, it's never nice.

Usually the external sources get updated with bugfixes and such and they
imported copies stay there. If you remember the OpenSSL mess a while
back and consider that most of those problems could have been solved by
linking to a single OpenSSL instead of everyone carrying their internal
version of it. (ok, openssl is a bad example)

Oh well, this is a completely different matter. There are no security
issues with ffmpeg... Right?!

Sami