apt irritating behaviour (fam and gamin)

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 3 05:53:31 CST 2005

Hi!

Sridhar Ratna [2005-02-03 17:12 +0530]:
> I had 'fam' installed.  I then installed gamin and gamin-dev, which
> eventually replaced fam.  But when I tried 'apt-get remove'ing gamin,
> it asked to remove about 115 packages including gnome apps ....
>
> Even if when I tried to 'apt-get install fam' .. it asked to remove
> huge amount of packages including gamin.
>
> I do not expect that behaviour.  If I installed a package (gamin) ..
> and immediately decided to uninstall it .. only that package must be
> removed.

Actually you did not _additionally_ install gamin (then your
expectation would be true), but you _replaced_ fam with gamin. So the
reverse action is to install fam again (which uninstalls gamin), not
just to uninstall gamin.

This might seem a little odd at the first sight, but if you think
about it, it makes perfect sense.

Martin
--
Martin Pitt                       http://www.piware.de