Shall we support the autorun feature? -> Conclusion

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 3 02:53:51 CST 2005

Hi!

Martin Pitt [2005-01-04 11:36 +0100]:
> Bug #1956 deserves a public discussion, so let's do that here.
>
> Gnome proper offers a so-called "autorun" feature for removable media.
> If enabled in gnome-volume-manager (disabled by default), g-v-m checks
> if a file "autorun" or "autorun.sh" is present and executable on newly
> mounted media. If so, the file is automatically executed.
>
> However, since pmount mounts non-fstab drives with "noexec", this
> currently fails. So the question arises what we want to do with
> autorun in the future. I see the following options:
>
> 1. Completely disable: pmount with noexec (as now), remove
>    the configuration option from gvm
> 2. enable: pmount with exec (should work automatically then)
> 3. enable with confirmation dialog: pmount with exec, change g-v-m to
>    confirm execution

Thanks for the numerous replies to the discussion.

It seems that we should not completely drop this feature, but it
should default to "off" in any case.

I recently tried this out again, Gnome already shows a confirmation
dialog before executing the autorun file. So for maximum upstream
compatibility I will implement option 3.

I will modify pmount soon to have a new switch -e/--exec which mounts
a device with the 'exec' flag. Also, I will modify
gnome-volume-manager to pmount with -e if the autorun feature is
enabled.

Does that sound reasonable?

Martin

--