Input methods

janne jan.moren at lucs.lu.se
Wed Feb 2 22:06:16 CST 2005

ons 2005-02-02 klockan 18:58 -0800 skrev Matt Zimmerman:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:02:53PM +0000, Lorenzo E. Danielsson wrote:
>
> > Has there been any decision taken as to which framework to officially use?
> > What is the status of it ("it" being "just working input method
> > framework)? What still needs to be done? Is help needed? And if help is
> > needed, who do I contact? I'm sure the answers to all these questions can
> > be found someplace, but my net connection is slow.
>
> No, no decision has been taken.  We need input from people who use these
> frameworks on a daily basis, and can make a sound judgement on what fits
> best with the goals of Ubuntu.
>
> This mailing list is the place to have a discussion about it.

So, let me start. I have a Hoary machine with UIM installed (with the
anthy engine for Japanese). Works very, very well for me, with the
single tweak of having ctrl-space (rather than shift-space) switch input
mode. And UIM has both a panel applet and a graphical chooser
(uim-im-switcher).

In comparison with iiim on RedHat, I've found this system a lot more
reliable and with a lot less small issues and problems with different
applications.

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel. (Japan) 090-3622 8920            Dr. Jan Morén (mr)
                                      Dept. of Cognitive Science
http://lucs.lu.se/people/jan.moren    Lund, Sweden