Input methods

Denis Jacquerye moyogo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 19:30:20 CST 2005

Lorenzo E. Danielsson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I remember reading somewhere a long time ago about input methods in
> hoary. I don't think there was any decision taken about the framework to
> use. I've just had a bit of time over and given uim and scim short test
> drives. I immediately fell in love with uim. It was so simple. And it
> works so well. I found the gnome applet really useful as well, even if
> it looks rather cryptic.
UIM is what I've been using too. But the uim-systray or gnome applet is
really not nice, it doesn't look nice when I change my fonts and having
letters for button and state indicator is just precarious.
I haven't tried SCIM nor IIIMF.

Looking at some Fedora screenshots, IIIMF's gnome applet, GIMLET, looks
really great. I just wish it could be on ubuntu and that writing my own
input-method be easier.

> I had less luck with scim. But to be fair, after my success with uim, I
> wasn't trying all that hard. I have heard/read a lot of good things
> about scim.
It seems SCIM can use UIM, so using SCIM as a main input method gives
you all the im of UIM too.

> Has there been any decision taken as to which framework to officially
> use? What is the status of it ("it" being "just working input method
> framework)? What still needs to be done? Is help needed? And if help is
> needed, who do I contact? I'm sure the answers to all these questions
> can be found someplace, but my net connection is slow.
>
> --Lorenzo
I haven't found much activity either, maybe I just didn't look at the
right places.
I'd love too help out too.