When should a package be ubuntu-versioned?

Mike Bird mgb-ubuntu at yosemite.net
Sat Dec 31 12:35:59 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 03:30, Trent Lloyd wrote:
> At a guess this would be being caused by the shlibs stuff etc? e.g.
> build time dependancy making
>
> [Not saying this is where the bug is, this isn't really a bug, I guess
> you shouldnt be relying on these packages being *exactly* the same down
> to the letter - what do your tools do?]

People use mixed Debian/Ubuntu package loads.  It's not always
easy, but it's usually doable.  However, having two packages
with identical names and versions but different content and
dependencies confuses our tools and would probably confuse apt.

These tools manage packages across Debian, Fedora, Redhat, and
Ubuntu systems.  They're useful for migrating, and have a rule-
-based substitute for pinning e.g. "Start with Breezy but give
me the Appletalk stuff from Hoary and the Subversion stuff from
Dapper."

--Mike Bird