Font changes, please watch out for b0rkage

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 19 01:42:25 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I've uploaded a change to fontconfig that puts DejaVu immediately after Vera
in the fallback priority lists. DejaVu is a derivative of Vera that provides
better coverage of various character sets. Install the ttf-dejavu package to
try it out immediately - Colin will add it to the Desktop Seed on Monday, so
you will end up getting it anyway.

This change means that characters from DejaVu will be used as first fallback
if they are not represented in Vera. So, I don't forsee this causing major
problems for people who don't care about those characters, but we still need
some watchful eyes - particularly those of font fascists, like myself. :-)

Please look out for font weirdness with Vera and the generic font names (the
defaults: Sans, Sans Serif and Mono) after this change.

Thanks,

- Jeff (who didn't think this was *quite* important or developer related
  enough for u-d-a)

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

    "Of course i can see iso-8859-1 characters, I'm French." - Christian
                                  Marillat