Dapper2 FT2, boot problems

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Dec 19 00:25:50 GMT 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:59:31AM +1100, Luke Yelavich wrote:
>On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 04:19:42AM EST, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> Downloaded Dapper FT2 and put it on a CD yesterday. Installed it today,
>> non-expert mode, without any problems. Chose to use two partitions on my
>> SATA disk (only have one disk in the computer):
>>
>>  /dev/sda7 -> /boot
>>  /dev/sda8 -> /
>>
>> Booting works fine until the kernel is loaded. Then I get the message
>> that /dev/sda8 couldn't be found and I'm dropped into a BusyBox.
>
>I get similar behavior on my P4, with 3 hard drives, two connected to a
>PCI IDE card, and one to the on-board card.
>
>I think the problem for me at least, is that the installer loads the
>IDE modules a different order to what gets loaded in the initramfs. My
>on-board IDE uses piix, and my PCI card uses siimage. The piix module
>is loaded before siimage in the installer, so my data drive which is on
>the piix controller is hda. Then my OS drives which are on the siimage
>controller are detected next. However, when the kernel and initramfs
>loads, the siimage module is the only one loaded because that is where
>the OS is, but in doing so, the wrong device nodes are created, as
>there has been no other IDE module loaded before it.
>
>Perhaps your problem could be on a similar line, although none of my
>drives are sd devices.

Nope. That's not the problem I saw. i only have one disk. No removable
disks are attached at boot.

I recompiled the kernel and included SCSI support in the kernel rather
than in a module and I got it all to work... however this whole ordeal
has convinced me that it's not worth trying to get Dapper installed just
now.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.
     -- Albert Einstein