Quick Dell laptop test - help required

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Mon Dec 12 20:22:19 GMT 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 11:13:15AM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Why not?  Mailing list traffic should _stay_ on mailing lists.  If you'd
> asked for CCs, I might do it (but not if it's one of those "please CC me
> because I'm not subscribed" requests, which imo say you have time enough to
> bother us, but not time enough to be bothered by us), but I don't believe
> in asking questions on lists and then not giving the list the benefit of
> the responses.

Because I don't want the list to become cluttered with a large number of
mails that are scarily uninteresting ("Dell's crap BIOS is broken on my
machine! And mine! And mine! And mine!") when all I want is a reasonable
list of affected machines so I can file the report that Dell have asked
me to and then get on with my life rather than spend another 5 hours
arguing with them over whether this is designed behaviour or not, which
then gives me a bit more time to actually fix some bugs.

> > 5) Press ctrl+alt+f7 and X should come back.
>
> Not in my experience.  If I open the lid and the light doesn't come on I
> will not be able to get it on by switching terminals - even to X.  I have
> to either log in from another machine or ctrl-alt-f1 and log in blindly,
> then do "vbetool post".  I wonder if ctrl-alt-backspace might do the trick
> - which, of course, is only acceptable if you didn't have a running desktop
> session.

Interesting. It's more broken than I thought. Thanks, Dell.
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org