xine-lib: splitting off patented stuff

Sebastian Dröge mail at slomosnail.de
Sun Dec 11 14:14:57 GMT 2005

Am Sonntag, den 11.12.2005, 14:46 +1100 schrieb Adam Conrad:
> Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> >
> > Currently I have the following parts of xine-lib which are suspect...
> >
> [ ... much talk of bundled sources for stuff we have elsewhere in the
> distribution ... ]
> >
> > all other parts of the sources are safe
>
> For all the things which exist elsewhere, can you please just delete
> those sources from the orig.tar.gz (re-pack as
> foo_1.2.3.dfsg.orig.tar.gz, or something), and make the package link
> against the libraries we already ship?  As part of my ongoing battle to
> reduce duplication, we really, really, really don't want things shipping
> their own static copies of any libraries.
>
> Of course, if the sources are completely free and unencumbered, you
> don't necessarily have to delete them, but you still shouldn't compile
> them in.  For anything with "questionable legal status", though, you may
> as well just delete it and re-pack the tarball.

I have to disagree in the case of ffmpeg. IMHO it's currently better to
ship a copy of ffmpeg with every package using it to always have a
working version with that package. Because of their API instabilities we
had enough problems in the past and already have one again with
transcode.
But for the others I agree with you. I'll delete them and link to the
libs we already have. But nonetheless this would mean a main xine-lib
package with less codecs than now and a multiverse one with the missing
parts (and some more as we have some optional libraries which are needed
for some plugins in multiverse)

Another "problem" right now is, that the dependencies for all the
different plugins are dropped intentionally, some of them completely,
some are moved to Recommends.
Seems to be wrong to me and I could change it when nobody has any
objections against it...

Bye