Compressing packages with bzip2 instead gzip?

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Wed Dec 7 20:00:10 GMT 2005

Absolutely it is worth it.  When installing from a cdrom, the cpu is
vastly faster than the drive so any data you can avoid having to read
will speed up the install, even if it takes more cpu time to do it.

I wonder though, if you could combine all of the packages that normally
are installed and 7zip them in one unit, rather than each package
individually?  That should give even better compression.