HomeUserBackup Feature Specification

Sandis Neilands sandisn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 03:34:44 GMT 2005

Hello again!

On 12/3/05, Aigars Mahinovs <aigarius at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/3/05, Sandis Neilands <sandisn at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Few suggestions:
> >  1. In case of manual backups, backgrounding process is bad idea. What
> if it
> > fails? And even if it won't, i'd like to know, what it is doing and when
> > will it finish. I can't easily cancel it eihter. Backgrounding should be
> > optional not default.
>
> How about this - the backup process it self is in the back ground, but
> its progress is shown by a panel applet with optional window with a
> bit more progress info. They could communicate via dbus or a pipe.

Sounds ok. Don't forget to include cancel button.

> >  2. Stephen Hemminger mentioned already that restore is more important
> than
> > backup itself. Sbackup is only usable in gnome, but what if user runs
> kde?
> > And lack of CLI is really important, since sbackup is not usable in
> rescue
> > mode (in case x or gnome is broken OR machine is server OR machine is
> > administrated via ssh, etc.)
>
> There is a CLI tool srestore.py which is also a Python library
> providing a Python class where all the restore funcionality actually
> is implemented. The graphical version only calls that library for
> restore.

I guess I should read man pages more carefuly :) However in the DESCRIPTION
field you shouldn't claim, that "Simple Backup Suite is a set of programs
that allow to do simple and complex backups with GUI tools only." Also you
should mention /etc/sbackup.conf somewhere in manual.

--
Sandis