nsd - proposal to include in main

Ondrej Sury ondrej at sury.org
Fri Dec 2 10:06:29 GMT 2005

Hello,

hereby I propose inclusion of nsd into main.

About NSD:
 NSD is an fast, authoritative only, high performance, simple
 and open source name server.

 The NSD was primarily developed by NLnet Labs on request from and close
 cooperation with RIPE NCC, as an alternative name server software to be
 run on the root name server RIPE NCC operates.

Rationale:
 NSD is secure and fast alternative to BIND9 for people who wants to run
 authoritative nameservers.  It's also wise to run more types of DNS
 servers which makes you less vulnerable to attacks specific to one
 kind of DNS server.  DNS is crucial part of todays internet and
 therefor it's common target of attacks.  This is especially true in
 TLD business, which is business which I work in right now.  Moving
 NSD to main would allow people running DNS servers have opportunity
 to run supported alternative to BIND9.

Template for MainInclusionReportNSD

Availability: universe, arch all
Rationale: to have secure, fast alternative authoritative name server
Security: no issues, daemon listens on 53
QA: no grave bugs in upstream, fairly easy to use and package
    I am Debian maintainer of this package
Standards compliance: meets all standards
Dependencies: all dependencies in main

Ondrej
--
Ondrej Sury <ondrej at sury.org>