ppc64 hardware support

Tom Gall tgall.foo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 14:37:00 CDT 2005

Greets,

Here's what I currently use for making boot isos on both mac and ibm systems.

mkisofs -J -r -U -chrp-boot -netatalk -hfs -probe -map boot/map.hfs
-part -no-desktop -hfs-volid <your-vol-id-here> -hfs-bless ./boot -o
../new-ubuntu.iso .

On 8/28/05, Sivan Green <sivan at piware.de> wrote:

> On 10:14, Sun 28 Aug 05, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Tom Gall">
> >
> > > Alas no go but closer examination of the install iso I can see why.  The
> > > powerpc iso is basically constructed to only support Apple systems.
> > > Support of IBM ppc64 systems however could be added to the iso without a
> > > whole bunch of difficulty. (It's really just mundane trivia) I'd be happy
> > > to help make this happen.
>
> I'm also interested in this, so I am going to try pick up
> some hints from RH's way of doing it, and try produce an
> image that boots on the platform. Me and Colin already
> discussed the differences, and it seems that we need some
> additional mkisofs flags to make it go.

Above :-)

> > > Related I'd also like to connect with someone on the powerc team for the
> > > purposes of mentoring with the goal of being able to lending a helping
> > > hand. I'm a software engineer by trade (19 years of hacking C) so I should
> > > be able to be productive very quickly.
> >
> > We don't actually have a dedicated powerpc team at this point, but between
> > the main developer team and the Masters of the Universe [1], we'll be able
> > to get you up to speed pretty quickly.
>
> I'm also happy to discover there are more people interested
> in this other then me :) will be nice to meet on IRC or get
> in contact someother way.

Perhaps in time it will make sense to put together an "official" team,
but hey can't imagine if one does or doesn't exist that that would
impede progress!

> Note that I am going to start a page on the wiki wrt this
> support, feel free to add ideas there and comment on mine.

Sounds like a good thing, I'll certainly look for it and be happy to contribute!

Regards,

Tom