What status is Input Method on Breezy?

Benj. Mako Hill mako at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 26 14:17:00 CDT 2005

<quote who="Matt Zimmerman" date="Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 09:05:13PM -0700">
> > I think SCIM [1] is enough stable for daily use. Since it is quite
> > stable at least for CJK users, language-support-pack-xx or
> > language-pack-xx may include each imengine of SCIM.
> >
> > language-support-pack-ja depends on scim-anthy
> > language-support-pack-zh depends on scim-pinyin
> > language-support-pack-ko depends on scim-hangl
>
> The development team currently doesn't have enough experience with input
> methods to know:
>
> - Which input method platform to choose (you seem to prefer scim,
> but others have expressed preferences for other input methods.  we
> need objective criteria)

Everything that I've heard seems to back up argument here. Anthy is
the library and the majority of folks seem to be suggesting it
regardless of the input method framework they use above it. It seems
to me that the technical benefits of SCIM over, say UIM, has to do
with the fact that SCIM uses a framework that is more likely to
support other languages well.

Takuro, Ikuyo, and Hiroyuki have all spoken out in favor of SCIM. It
would be good to hear from any Japanese input users who disagree.

> - Which input methods work best for which languages (again, we need
>   objective assessments)

I don't see a reason that we cannot install more than one input method
if there are actually used by a significant number of people and if
maintaining those input methods is being done by the community and/or
is not difficult.

I think that we need a way to propose and vet these proposals, similar
for example, to the way that Unicode includes new characters. I'll be
happy to work on this.

Regards,
Mako

--