use of /usr/local by packages (again)

Alvin Thompson alvin-ubuntu at thompsonlogic.com
Thu Aug 25 13:05:10 CDT 2005

i should also mention again that /var is intended for exactly what
ubuntu is using /usr/local for, according to the Debian FHS:

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-5.html

the FHS goes to great length to make it clear that /usr/local should
*not* be used for this purpose:

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-4.5.html

-alvin