use of /usr/local by packages (again)

Alvin Thompson alvin-ubuntu at thompsonlogic.com
Thu Aug 25 12:04:02 CDT 2005

Michael Beattie wrote:
> are you saying that there's actual stuff from packages installed
> there?  There shouldnt be.
>
> There may be empty directories though.  If there's actual stuff there
> that yuo didnt put there I would check what package it goes with and
> file a bug against that package unless they have a good reason for it.

for example, the bizarre install of eclipse does not work properly
without the stuff it puts there, and will actually install its
features/config into /usr/local/lib/eclipse (or something like that) if
you're logged in as root (it tries to do so with regular users as well,
but fails because regular users don't have write access).

this may be a throwback to eclipse 2.x. i was one of the guys that made
sure eclipse 3.x never needs to write outside of a regular user's home
directory, even when installing features/plugins. now, there's no need
for anything except a read-only regular install. i'll file a bug.

thanks,
alvin