What status is Input Method on Breezy?

Takuro Ashie ashie at homa.ne.jp
Thu Aug 25 06:18:02 CDT 2005

Hi all.

I can't provide "objective" criteria because I'm a depeloper of scim-anthy,
but I can provide "hint" for this problem.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:39:08 +0900
Jan Mor$(D+1(Bn <jan.moren at lucs.lu.se> wrote:

> I use UIM and anthy on Hoary right now, but I believe SCIM and UIM are
> very similar in capability for Japanese (both use anthy, for example). I
> thought SCIM used UIM in the background?

scim-anthy doesn't depend on UIM.

You can also use UIM through SCIM, but scim-anthy doesn't need UIM.
It only depends on anthy and SCIM.

As you know, both of UIM and SCIM are input method platform.
Mainly UIM is depeloped by Chinese people, and SCIM is depeloped by
Japanese people, so that once UIM was good at Japnese and SCIM was good
at Chinese. To beat this weak point, SCIM used UIM as Japenese input
method. But such structure (a input method platform is depend on
another input method platform) is a little complex.

However, current status is different from before.

Some Japanese developer (such as me) are depeloping Japanese input
method for SCIM, so SCIM is also good at Japanese. On the other hand,
it is a weak point of UIM that it can't still treat Chinese well.

BTW, both can handle many languages thourgh m17n-lib [1].

> IIIMF is a pain to set up and use, comparatively speaking, and doesn't
> seem very actively maintained.

This is the reason many distributors doesn't use IIIMF as input method platform.

[1] http://www.m17n.org/m17n-lib/

Regards,

--
Takuro Ashie <ashie at homa.ne.jp>