What status is Input Method on Breezy?

Jan Morén jan.moren at lucs.lu.se
Thu Aug 25 04:39:08 CDT 2005

tor 2005-08-25 klockan 18:26 +0900 skrev Hiroyuki Ikezoe:
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2005 at 21:05-0700 , Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
> > The development team currently doesn't have enough experience with input
> > methods to know:
> >
> > - Which input method platform to choose (you seem to prefer scim, but others
> >   have expressed preferences for other input methods.  we need objective
> >   criteria)
>
> Yes, I prefer scim, because I had written some codes of scim-anthy.
>
> I don't have any objective criteria about Input Methods (SCIM, IIIMF and
> UIM), but Fedora Core 5 took in scim-anthy [1] and dropped iimf-le-canna
> (Japanese). Does it become an objective criterion?

I use UIM and anthy on Hoary right now, but I believe SCIM and UIM are
very similar in capability for Japanese (both use anthy, for example). I
thought SCIM used UIM in the background?

IIIMF is a pain to set up and use, comparatively speaking, and doesn't
seem very actively maintained.

I think either UIM or SCIM is fine for Japanese; it probably comes down
to what the other languages need, really.

> > We are in feature freeze for the 5.10 release, so intrusive changes will
> > need to be delayed until after the release, but if there are simple and safe
> > things that we can do in order to enable this functionality, we can consider
> > it.
>
> Thank you for your kindness. I will account for as far as I know.

Just having the packages installable with apt would probably go a long
way, especially if there was a meta-package available?

--
Tel. (Japan) 090-3622 8920            Dr. Jan Morén (mr)
Sweden: +46-31 360 7723               Dept. of Cognitive Science