Colony 3 problems--my report

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 05:47:57 CDT 2005

On 8/25/05, Michael Vogt <michael.vogt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Zach,
>
> thanks for your mail (and sorry for my late reply).

No problem--I understand ;-).

> The dialog is not shown again if apt already knows the cd (if you
> e.g. selected "start package manager"). This means that you can just
> use a normal "upgrade" in synaptic (or apt).

The problem with this is that, in my experience, apt *doesn't* know
about the cdrom.  If you try to point it at the cd rom by manually
adding the repository (even after disabling all other repositories)
synaptic gives you a cryptic message about using the apt-cdrom utility
to add the new disc to the list of available repositories.  Of course,
then I go to the man page for apt-cdrom, etc., etc.  This isn't what
users want/should have to do.

> I think it would be kind of anoying if the dialog poped up everytime
> the cd is inserted. Users just installing a package and synaptic
> or apt need the cd would get the dialog then.

Agreed, but as I mentioned in a previous post, it would be nice if
there were an easily accessible mechanism for bringing the dialog
back.  Perhaps a second dialog that says "okay you've opted not to
perform upgrade, but if you change your mind, here's what you need to
do."  Alternatively (or in addition) there could be a "never show this
message again" checkbox in the auto upgrade dialog (perhaps even
checked by default).  Maybe even an option in the context menu from
right-clicking the CD icon on the desktop.

And relatedly, the first time I upgraded from CD (normally I just
upgrade over the net), my first inclination was to boot off the CD,
thinking it would detect the existing installation, and offer to
perform an upgrade.  I believe this was upgrading hoary to Colony 1.
I was surprised that it didn't.

Zach